Stellan Skarsgard: I’m behind …
He’s a prospective father of eight, has secured Sweden’s acting future with his sons, and is true to Stockholm despite the fact that he almost never make any movies in Sweden.
In a candid interview, Stellan Skarsgard talks about why he is disappointed with the Oscar jury, celebrates costar Rooney Mara and getting to grips with what he really thinks about his sons who are about to conquer the world.
- I’m jealous. They have passed me, already, he says.
The film company wants to interview about a six months old film “The girl with the dragon tattoo”, which is released on DVD in the Nordic countries 25 April. So we’re talking about it. But not at first.
Stellan is effervescent and happy after having seen the ultrasound and looked at child number eight, which is expected in early September.
- Everything looked great. I’m delighted, says Stellan.
The family has often had to go on the film locations, since the children were young. When Stellan recorded Marvel movie “Thor” part of the family in place and “Melancholia” Stellan played against his son Alexander. When he was a few weeks traveling to Scotland to play in “The Railway Man” with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth his wife Megan Everett, 35, and son Ossian, almost three, came along.
- The family comes with me, it’s nice, explains Stellan.
It’s good that you expand the clan further so that we get some more actors.
- Yes, exactly, says Stellan and laughs before he says:
- There are many now.
"Let’s take it easy"
For kids it’s just Sam, 29, and Eija, 20, who have chosen other careers other than acting profession. Alexander Skarsgard, 35, is being praised in Hollywood, brothers Gustav, 31, and Bill, 21, the fine criticism at home and now the younger brother Walter, 17, landed his first starring role in the movie “IRL”.
- They have passed me already. Now I’m left behind and can take it easy, says Stellan.
But you must be so proud?
- Yes. And jealous. But there is not much to do about it.
To David Finchers Hollywood Version “The girl with the dragon tattoo” was not nominated for an Oscar is not possible to do much about. Apart from being annoyed, of course.
- It’s a fantastic film and it’s a fantastic job he has done, Fincher. I find it incredibly strange that the film was nominated or that Fincher was nominated as best director. It’s very strange.
- There are too many films that are much better than The Artist. It’s good and cute, but it’s not the sharpest film from last year. But Oscar’s works are so there. It is all of those films that manage to go home with so many Academy members as possible.
Were you surprised?
- Not surprised, but a little tired, he says, laughing.
"Very much police films"
Stellan Skarsgard has just completed a film version of Romeo and Juliet in Italy. Later this summer he will play in the controversial “nymphomaniac” by Danish director Lars von Trier. And in three weeks he will travel as told to Scotland for the next film.
- Then it looks as if I should make an American film in the autumn. But it is not been signed, so I can not speak about it now.
Nothing but foreign projects. The Swedish films are notable by their absence.
- I don’t get many fun offers here. I get more from Denmark and Norway. In Sweden, we do a lot of police movies and there’s not exactly a lot of meaty roles ther. The Danes are doing more films about human problems than we do in Sweden, and four of my best roles have been Norwegian.
Would you like to work more in Sweden?
- Yes, it would be fun to work at home. I’ve worked with von Trier at home. He is Danish, but the recording was in Trollhattan, anyway, he says, laughing.
Think Swedish filmmakers aren’t calling because you’re too big for Sweden?
- I think not, because I get some offers. But then it is rather the opposite that they want me to play the villain in a low-budget thriller. And then they can not compete with the bovroller I’ll be offered from the other side.
Stellan Skarsgard about …
… father of eight:
"It’s just as exciting and as fun, and they’re calmer than it was the first time. Children can take up more space in your life than what they could from the beginning when we were going out to conquer the world."
… his co-star in “The girl with the dragon tattoo” - Rooney maeaerae:
"She is both intelligent, friendly and very good. She does such a fantastic portrait. It’s rare to see U.S. $ one hundred million movie where the heroine has no vanity at all. Not doing anything to be liked. Not doing anything to be stylish. Without doing everything the opposite and therefore we love her. It would be fun to work with her again. “
… successor to “The girl …”
"I will not be more because I’m dead. But they have the rights to all three stories, and possibly a fourth, too. If they think they earn enough money on this then they will definitely make the next also . And of course it has recorded over one hundred million dollars in the U.S., so where I think we have the answer … “
… To play against Colin Firth again in “The Railway Man,” a film about prisoners of war who were forced to build the “death railway” between Bangkok and Rangoon during World War II:
"It will be fun, he’s a wonderful actress. And Nicole Kidman is also good. It is based on a true story and cuts between the characters past and back to when they were prisoners of war under the Japanese. They can not get over the trauma they have been through. Two younger actors play us in war and we are doing in the present. “
Alexander Johan Hjalmar Skarsgård.
Made his first film role in “Ake and His World” in 1984 as an eight year old. He got his first breakthrough in “Dog Trick” in 2005 but became internationally famous first American TV series “Generation Kill” and “True Blood” in 2008. Is up to date with “Battleship” where he plays the artist Rihanna. Was previously with actress Kate Bosworth and has recently paired with Swedish Alicia Wikander and Oscar winner Charlize Theron.
Gustaf Caspar Snake Skarsgård.
Made his first film role as a nine year old in 1989 in “Cover Name Coq Rouge”. Rose to prominence as bad kampratuppfostrare in “Evil” in 2003, the year he left the Theatre Academy. Is this year to date with the films “Autum Blood” with, among others godfather Peter Stormare and the Norwegian film “Kon-Tiki”.
Samuel Christopher Ymer Skarsgard
Sam has not invested in acting as a father and brothers. Instead, he has been at the Mys mom’s footsteps and become a doctor. That said, he has stayed completely away from the silver screen. In the film “Jim and the Pirates Blom” he plays the son of - you guessed it - her own mother My.
Bill Istvan Günther Skarsgård.
Film debut in “Daddy Police” in 2000, was ten years old. Games against father Stellan and brothers Gustav and Walter in the movies about Arn. He has also appeared in “True Blood”. Got his big break in 2010 with the films “The Wedding Date” and “Blue Skies”. Playing the lead role in “Simon and the oaks” which was released last year. Is this year to date with “Anna Karenina”, among others, Jude Law, Keira Knightley and Alicia Vika Weekender.
Lo Eija Skarsgård.
Eija also stands in front of the camera, but as a model. Unlike her siblings, she has not appeared in any film.
Debuted in the short film “Killing Babies” in 2003 and the feature film “Details” in the same year, when he was eight. Games in 2008, against Gustavus and Stellan in “Arn: The Kingdom at Road end.” Has just landed his first starring role in upcoming “IRL” to include Happy Jankell and Alba August.
Ossian Finn Skarsgård.
Age: Fills three at the end of April.
Ossian’s only three years and have not yet had time to make its debut in the film world. But considering that his siblings made their debut when they were around eight years and the fact that he hangs out with some of the world’s greatest actor takes it certainly will not be long until we see him in his first role.
A google translation - cleanup and posted by Dane @ The Stråle Dome